Danqing Liu received her master degree in Electrical Engineering in 2009 at the Delft University in The Netherlands. She joined the Department of Mechanical Engineering at Eindhoven University of Technology, The Netherlands for her PhD research. She developed polymer responsive surfaces based on hydrogels and liquid crystal polymers. She received her PhD degree in 2013. In the same year, she joined the Department of Chemical Engineering and Chemistry at the same university working as a postdoctoral student on new mechanisms of surface activation. In 2015 she was a Research Fellow at the Institute of Complex Molecular Systems in Eindhoven, The Netherlands.
In 2019, she was appointed as Assistant professor (Tenured) at the Department of Chemical Engineering and Chemistry, Eindhoven University of Technology. In 2021, she was appointed as Visiting professor at South China Normal University (SCNU). Since 2015, she has received funding >4 million euros to support her research.
Awards and grants
- 2021 Open Technology Competition (NWO)
- 2020 Michi Nakata Prize for Early Career Achievements, International Liquid Crystal Society (ILCS)
- 2020 Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions, Innovation Training Networks (ITN), European Commission.
- 2020 Klein-1, Dutch Research Council.
- 2020 Facebook Reality Lab
- 2020 Becton, Dickinson and Company
- 2020 Immuno-engineering, Eindhoven University of Technology
- 2019 Start-up grant, Innovational Research Incentives Scheme, Dutch Research Council.
- 2019 JITRI-SLiC: Jiangsu Industrial Technology Research Institute (JITRI)
- 2019 Merck
- 2016 VENI , Innovational Research Incentives Scheme, Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research
- 2016 4TU HTM New Horizon grant for organizing an International workshop
- 2016 4TU HTM New Horizon
- 2014 Dutch Polymer Institute ‘golden thesis’ Nomination
- 2022 PhotoIUPAC, Amsterdam
- 2021 Physics@Veldhoven, online.
- 2021 Gordon Research Conference (GRC) Liquid Crystals, 27th June –2nd July, 2021, Manchester, New Hampshire, USA.
- Pacifichem 2020 Congress, 15th-20th December 2020, Hawaii, USA. (postponed due to Covid-19 pandemic).
- 28th IUPAC Symposium on Photochemistry, 12th-17th, July 2020, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM) Conference, 18th-22nd, May 2020, Bilbao, Spain.
- International Liquid Crystal Elastomer Conference (ILCEC), 15th-18th September 2019, Eindhoven, The Netherlands.
- International workshop on “Microscale Motion and Light”, 22nd–26th July 2019, Max Planck Institute for the Physics of Complex Systems (MPIPKS), Dresden, Germany.
- Westlake International Symposium in Engineering, 19-21 July, 2019, Hangzhou, China.
- 4th International Conference on Bioinspired and Zwitterionic Materials, 16th-19th June 2019, Rolduc Abbey, the Netherlands.
- Artificial Molecular Switches and Motors Gordon Research Seminar (GRS), 8th-9th June 2019, New Hampshire, USA.
- SPIE-Photonics West, Liquid Crystals. 27th January-1st February 2018, San Francisco, USA.
- The 6th International Symposium on Liquid Crystal Photonics, 5th-7th May 2017, Tianjin, China.
- International Liquid Crystal Conference (ILCC), 31st July- 5th August 2016, Kent, USA.
- 2015 SPIE OPTO, Emerging Liquid Crystal Technologies X, 7th -12th February 2015, San Francisco, USA.
- American Chemical Society (ACS), Liquid Crystals and Polymers, 21st-25th April 2013, New Orleans, USA.
- SPIE-Photonics West, Liquid Crystals, 21st-26th January 2012, San Francisco, USA.